Journalist, writer, editor.
- Experience editing and writing for print and online publications, from editorial planning to final product.
- Worked as a journalist in four Canadian cities, filing and editing for newspapers, magazines, web and radio.
- Familiar with: web content management with WordPress, Joomla, basic HTML; InDesign and PhotoShop; iNews; sound editing with Dalet, Audition; social media with Twitter, Facebook, Storify, LinkedIn, etc.
Freelance writer and editor, (Toronto) Oct. 2010-present
- Contribute to various print and online publications on a freelance basis.
- Work as Toronto writer for toronto.ctv.ca, writing and posting stories, editing and posting video and images.
- Selected clients include Toronto Star, Canadian Business, The Grid, Alberta Venture, Canadian Living.
- Follow federal political news and serve as the Toronto correspondent for iPolitics.ca.
Web editor, iPolitics.ca, (Toronto) Jan. 2011-Feb. 2012
- Reported on Toronto events, and kept other staff members up-to-date on upcoming news/events.
- Created photo galleries, uploaded photos, video, or other media to accompany stories.
- Administered website using WordPress platform, ensuring accurate and engaging content.
- Copy edited and posted stories and images from iPolitics journalists and news wire services.
- Drove traffic to site using social media strategies, relevant tagging and SEO headlines.
Managing editor, contract division, Venture Publishing (Edmonton), Nov. 2009-Oct. 2010
- Managed a busy custom publishing division with magazines on health, business and industry, serving consumer and business audiences. (Selected websites: myleapmagazine.ca, griponlife.ca)
- Assigned, copy edited and fact checked stories from freelancers, clients and Venture staff.
- Created production schedules to manage workload for monthly, quarterly and annual publications.
- Budgeted and managed freelancer invoices for each publication.
- Contributed to Alberta Venture, the province’s top business magazine (albertaventure.com).
Reporter, National Post (Toronto newsroom), May-Aug. 2009
- Worked as a general assignment reporter on a four-month contract for national and Toronto sections.
- Pitched story ideas and story follows to various editors and co-ordinated with staff on feature stories.
- Attended and reported on editorial board meetings with politicians and policy makers.
Associate producer, The House, CBC National Radio (Ottawa), April 2009
- Completed two-week internship on national political affairs radio program.
- Edited sound clips using Dalet audio editing in both single and multi-track formats.
- Wrote and edited scripts for hosts using iNews software.
- Scheduled and conducted radio interviews with MPs, senators and other federal newsmakers.
Teaching assistant, Carleton University, Sept. 2007-April 2009
- Edited and provided feedback and grades for student assignments, both academic and journalistic.
- Developed lesson plans for two 15-person classes of first-year students and taught weekly tutorials.
Reporter, Edmonton Journal, May-Aug. 2008
- Worked as a general assignment reporter in city section, covering beats including health, crime and military.
- Filed stories for multiple mediums including web, Canwest News Service, the Journal and the National Post.
Reporter, Calgary Herald, Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008
- Reported on general assignment stories and produced daily copy on deadline as part of a month-long internship.
Q-Blog contributor, Calgary Herald, 2007-2008
- Wrote and researched opinion articles for Calgary Herald youth blog site on a freelance basis.
News editor, the Gauntlet, University of Calgary, May 2006-April 2007
- Managed news section of weekly campus newspaper with distribution of 10,000 copies.
- Taught and co-ordinated approximately 75 volunteer writers through workshops and one-on-one training.
- Designed five- to 10-page news sections weekly using Adobe InDesign software.
Communications co-ordinator, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Sept. 2004-April 2005
- Edited and designed weekly electronic newsletter and edited monthly Leading Business magazine.
- Edited policy documents and reports advocating for businesses at municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.
- Wrote and distributed press releases to Calgary media organizations and liaised with media and guest speakers.
Education and Training
Master of journalism, Carleton University, 2009
2007/08 GPA: 10.5/12.0
Military journalism certificate, U of C Centre for Military and Strategic Studies, 2008
Ten-day course on Canadian military including discussion of history, current issues and reporting methods.
Bachelor of arts, communication studies, University of Calgary, 2007
2005/06 GPA: 3.88/4.00
Selected scholarships and awards
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (2008-2009)
- Rachael Edwards Memorial Award for an outstanding female journalism student in daily news reporting (2008)
- Carleton University domestic entrance master’s scholarship and journalism departmental scholarship (2007)
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship for exceptional academic achievement (2006)
- Bettina Fournier Essay Award – Awarded to best essay in an undergrad women’s studies class at U or C (2006)
- Can ride a horse, wrestle a calf and drive a tractor; excellent understanding of agriculture and food production.
- Enjoys soccer, running, hiking and cycling.
- Avid home cook and baker; interested in sustainable food and the Slow Food movement.