Journalist, writer, editor.
- Experience editing and writing for online and print publications, from editorial planning to final product.
- Executed social media strategy for national media brands, including Maclean’s and CTVNews.ca.
- Familiar with: web content management with WordPress, Polopoly, basic HTML; InDesign and PhotoShop; iNews; sound editing with Dalet, Audition; email marketing with MailChimp; social media strategy with Facebook, Twitter, Google+, LinkedIn, Tumblr, Hootsuite, etc.
Freelance writer and editor, Oct. 2010-present
- Contribute to various print and online publications on a freelance basis.
- Selected clients include Maclean’s, Toronto Star, Canadian Business, Alberta Venture, Canadian Living.
Contributing editor (digital), Maclean’s, Oct. 2012 – Sept. 2014
- Oversaw day-to-day content management at Macleans.ca using WordPress CMS
- Managed social media accounts: Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Tumblr and Google+
- Co-ordinated with editors and writers to respond to breaking news and identify emerging stories.
- Ensured search engine optimization of magazine content for online publication.
- Aided in content migration and troubleshooting during major website redesign.
Freelance online writer, CTVnews.ca, March-Sept. 2012
- Worked as Toronto reporter for CTVnews.ca, wrote and posted news stories.
- Posted and edited video and photo from newscasts and wire services.
- Communicated with other CTV reporters and producers to respond to breaking news promptly.
- Managed CTV Toronto social media accounts.
- Aided in content migration and troubleshooting as CTV moved to Polopoly-based CMS.
Editor and reporter, iPolitics.ca, Jan. 2011-Feb. 2012
- Reported on Toronto events, and kept other staff members up-to-date on upcoming news/events.
- Created photo galleries, uploaded photos, video, or other media to accompany stories.
- Administered website using WordPress platform, ensuring accurate and engaging content.
- Copy edited and posted stories and images from iPolitics journalists and news wire services.
- Drove traffic to site using social media strategies, relevant tagging and SEO headlines.
Managing editor, contract division, Venture Publishing, Nov. 2009-Oct. 2010
- Managed a busy custom publishing division with magazines on health, business and industry, serving consumer and business audiences. (Selected websites: myleapmagazine.ca, griponlife.ca)
- Assigned, copy edited and fact checked stories from freelancers, clients and Venture staff.
- Created production schedules to manage workload for monthly, quarterly and annual publications.
- Budgeted and managed freelancer invoices for each publication.
- Contributed to Alberta Venture, the province’s top business magazine (albertaventure.com).
Reporter, National Post, May-Aug. 2009
- Worked as a general assignment reporter on a four-month contract for national and Toronto sections.
- Pitched story ideas and story follows to various editors and co-ordinated with staff on feature stories.
- Attended and reported on editorial board meetings with politicians and policy makers.
Associate producer, The House, CBC National Radio, April 2009
- Completed two-week internship on national political affairs radio program.
- Edited sound clips using Dalet audio editing in both single and multi-track formats.
- Wrote and edited scripts for hosts using iNews software.
- Scheduled and conducted radio interviews with MPs, senators and other federal newsmakers.
Teaching assistant, Carleton University, Sept. 2007-April 2009
- Edited and provided feedback and grades for student assignments, both academic and journalistic.
- Developed lesson plans for two 15-person classes of first-year students and taught weekly tutorials.
Reporter, Edmonton Journal, May-Aug. 2008
- Worked as a general assignment reporter in city section, covering beats including health, crime and military.
- Filed stories for multiple mediums including web, Canwest News Service, the Journal and the National Post.
Reporter, Calgary Herald, Dec. 2007-Jan. 2008
- Reported on general assignment stories and produced daily copy on deadline as part of a month-long internship.
Q-Blog contributor, Calgary Herald, 2007-2008
- Wrote and researched opinion articles for Calgary Herald youth blog site on a freelance basis.
News editor, the Gauntlet, University of Calgary, May 2006-April 2007
- Managed news section of weekly campus newspaper with distribution of 10,000 copies.
- Taught and co-ordinated approximately 75 volunteer writers through workshops and one-on-one training.
- Designed five- to 10-page news sections weekly using Adobe InDesign software.
Communications co-ordinator, Calgary Chamber of Commerce, Sept. 2004-April 2005
- Edited and designed weekly electronic newsletter and edited monthly business magazine.
- Edited policy documents and reports advocating for businesses at municipal, provincial and federal levels of government.
- Wrote and distributed press releases to Calgary media organizations and liaised with media and guest speakers.
Education and Training
Master of journalism, Carleton University, 2009
Bachelor of arts, communication studies, University of Calgary, 2007
Selected scholarships and awards
- National Magazine Award – Magazine Website of the Year for Maclean’s (2013)
- Canadian Online Publishing Award – best overall website and best news coverage for Maclean’s (2013)
- Ontario Graduate Scholarship (2008-2009)
- Rachael Edwards Memorial Award for an outstanding female journalism student in daily news reporting (2008)
- Carleton University domestic entrance master’s scholarship and journalism departmental scholarship (2007)
- Louise McKinney Post-Secondary Scholarship for exceptional academic achievement (2006)
- Bettina Fournier Essay Award – Awarded to best essay in an undergrad women’s studies class at U or C (2006)